We hope Reno will do the same.
- Today (12/14/2011) Reno City Council will be taking public comments @ 12:00pm. We encourage individuals to ask the City of Reno to formally state that they DO NOT recognize corporations as people (ala LA). Show up at 11:45 to fill out a blue form, or you will not be allowed to speak. Occupy Reno will follow up (pending GA approval) at the next City Council Meeting on 1/18/2012.
- Tonight (12/14/2011) Reno City Council will be reviewing plans to re-district the UNR farmland to industrial land @ 6:00pm. The Great Basin Co-Op, along with other organizations, have a statement prepared for the Council. They are asking for people to arrive @ 5:00pm for a quick review. We encourage people to attend this event.
- TONIGHT’S GA is at the same time as the City Council meeting. Saturday’s GA voted not to reschedule, so you’ll need to choose which one is most important to you.
Saturday (12/17/2011) marks the 3 month anniversary of the Occupy Movement. It’s also the last weekend before President Obama chooses whether to sign or veto the NDAA, a bill which would effectively institute martial law in America. It seems like a good time for a demonstration.
Pending Wednesday GA approval, we plan to march after the Saturday GA (2:00ish).
Tonight’s GA should discuss incorporating the following themes:
– Orwellian ideas of state control and doublespeak
– Dirty Hippy attire vs. 1% attire
– 1st fiscal quarter reports for the Occupation (perhaps expose quarterly earnings for 1% corporations)
– PROTEST THE NDAA and inform the general public of the dangers behind S.1867
After the march, the band Merkin has agreed to play acoustic downtown for us.
- There will be multiple facilitator training sessions for people interested in helping facilitate meetings and GAs. Facilitator trainings are open to the public. The first training is today at noon; the next is tentatively scheduled after the GA this Sat. with more consistent time TBA. Topics: what is the role of the facilitator? techniques employed, what consensus means.
- We encourage any and all 99% to apply for a lobby license for the NV Legislature.
- The Zine Team needs volunteers to help with all aspects of production, especially the timeline from all Occupations. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested.
- Proposal for downtown occupation Jan. 1 with peaceful arrests most likely being made. This will be presented at an upcoming GA.
- Another new proposal: “Get arrested for charity” street theater idea with volunteer off duty cops. Working group started.
– Jessica / Media