Hi Occupiers and 99 percenters! Tomorrow, December 17, marks the 3 month anniversary of the Occupy Movement. Three months…which also equals one fiscal quarter. Congratulate yourselves and your likeminded peers across the country for a job well done disrupting “business as usual”! We’ve certainly grabbed the attention of people all around the world as is evident with Time magazine declaring “The Protester” the person on the year.
We’ve made a lot of progress, but this is only the beginning. We need to act, and it needs to happen now. Tomorrow we march in celebration of the past three months but also in protest of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Whether you have been participating since the beginning of Occupy Reno, just started joining the conversation, or have been participating on and off depending on your schedule, we welcome you to march with us tomorrow around 2 p.m. In fact, we need you…and your friends, coworkers, family members, and anyone else that cares about the future of this country and our Constitutionally protected rights as Americans. Remember those marches with 100+ people back in October? We can make it happen again with your dedication.
The schedule for tomorrow’s events is as follows:
- Occupy Your Yoga Mat 12-1 p.m. at Brick Park (1st St. and West St. next to Java Jungle). Please bring your own yoga mat if you have one and warm clothes. No experience necessary. Relax and uplift your consciousness through a series of stretches and group meditation.
- General Assembly 1-about 2 p.m. Please join us as we give updates on each of our committees, present proposals for future actions, and continue to cultivate one unified voice through our direct democracy process. Feel free to speak about any issues that matter to you during our soapbox period at the end of the GA.
- March in Protest of the NDAA after the GA. We will be finalizing plans for the march with GA approval, but are planning tentatively to march from Brick Park to Liberty and back. Please bring signs in protest of the NDAA, in support of the Occupy movement, or on any issue that is of importance to you!
- Acoustic performance by Merkin following the march. Exact time and location TBA.
Please join us for this incredibly special and important day tomorrow, December 17, as we commemorate 3 months of occupation and continue to fight for our rights, especially our right to a fair trial. All events starting at Brick Park at noon! See map below for directions.
If you are unable to join us tomorrow, please feel free to come to our Sunday events:
- Facilitator Training 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Knowledge Center Room 104 at UNR. Have you ever wondered who the people running GA’s and meetings are and what authority they have to do so? Well, here is your chance to learn the roles and responsibilities of a facilitator, the true meaning of consensus, conflict resolution techniques, and the procedural protocols for facilitating a GA. We will be having a potluck, so please bring a dish to share if you’d like to participate.
- Issues Forum 2-5 p.m. Is there a certain issue that matters most to you? Here is your chance to educate others in the movement on your issue, connect with like-minded folk, and start collaboratively creating solutions to the problems we face today.
Thank you all for your continued support! Bring yourselves, your voices, your signs, and your friends tomorrow to TAKE ACTION!